23 April 2008

Yikes

I do not have Photoshop for two main reasons. a.) It costs an arm and a leg and, more importantly, b.) I am infinitely capable of being obsessive and letting all else fester as I photoshop hour after hour.
Despite the fact that I don't have Photoshop and I don't have the familial energy to devote to photoshopping pics, I always read Pioneer Woman's Photoshop posts with interest.
Tonight, I went back to a post by the lovely Miz Booshay and decided to see if I could do the same thing in my JASC program I bought for $10 on eBay. Why, yes, I could. Then, for some crazy reason, I decided to read other Photoshop posts and see if I could do the same sort of things addressed in said posts in my cheapo photo editing software.
TURNS OUT -- I CAN!!!
It involves a little translation and some playing around with settings, but oh my goodness, I have an entire arsenal at my fingertips that I did not know I had!!!
Tonight, I played around with this photo.

It's of my lovely girl, but otherwise was pretty boring, I thought, underexposed and taken on an icky day. So I played -- cropped and lightened and texturized and so on and ended up with this.

Which just makes me smile.

And this is just the start. What in the world have I discovered?

4 comments:

more cows than people said...

actually, i like both pictures- a lot.

hope you can manage this temptation well.

(((april)))

Maria Baker said...

Hi April,
Ahhhhh, Photoshop...the bane of my existence!! There is a free version of Photoshop online now called Photoshop Express which is WAY easier to use. Give it a look-see sometime and see if you like it.

https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html

Jen said...

Oh, how fun! That photo turned out beautifully. I don't have photoshop either. Which is probably a good thing, like you said. But maybe I'll have to play with what I have and see what I can do too.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo.... I like it!

We have Photoshop for work purposes. Unfortunately, I have yet to really learn it. I caught a WFMW on Gimp, which is supposedly a great -- FREE -- alternative that's easy to use.

That is SO COOL that you've found something with comparable capabilities! I'm so excited for what that means for fabulous pictures of your BEEE-YOUUUU-TIFUL children on your blog! :)