30 April 2008

Human voodoo doll

My arm hurts today. And when I say it hurts, I mean it really, really HURTS. I think I have a pinched nerve. It may have resulted from me moving a Clavinova up stairs with my husband on Saturday. But it has gotten worse instead of better. Today, I'm going to see if my chiropractor can see me. I need help.
The arm is the latest in a series of physical failings as I approach my 33rd birthday this week that move me to consider my decrepit physical state with contempt. If I didn't know better, I'd think God had a voodoo doll of me up there and was systematically torturing me. First, it was tendonitis in my Achilles tendon. Then my back was in pain. The the arm. Now my wrist, too.
Year 33 is going to have to be one of focusing on physical strength and wellness, I think. I have never, ever been comfortable focusing on or even acknowledging my body. I've got issues and history, to say the least. (And none of you who know me are allowed to use this post against me in real life.)
But it is ridiculous to be unable to wash dishes or pick up little guys. So something needs to be different. And now. Because everything hurts to much to wait much longer.

3 comments:

Arlene said...

Hey April,

Sorry about your arm...

Just wanted you to know I tagged you for one of those blogger memes...

http://www.arlene-alongtheway.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Arlene

Anonymous said...

amen my sister.
32 & 33 were bad, and so far 34 is not my favorite.
i lamment with you.
-jes.

Jim and Amy Rennie said...

I just started a huge health regimen. My blood pressure, while still normal, has risen a bit in the past year, and it scared me, along w/a lump in the back of my neck, which turned out to be a swollen gland . . .but still. The "scares" made me realize I had to change something. I know what you're feeling, because I keep thinking--you know what, this behavior was easier to ignore in my 20's, but now . . .well, I have to change this before I'm in my 40's and it's too late. I know you can do this! If you need to vent, write me . . .I'm in the same boat!