13 June 2007

She cooks, she cleans, she quilts! (but not really)

I am making a concerted effort to be more dilligent in the mother/ wife/ co-keeper of the home areas of my life. I've not yet arrived where I'd like to be in my progress, but I am progressing. Slowly. Incrementally. Perhaps microscopically. But progressing.
Anyway, I have some little goals which may seem just ridiculously little to some of you. Some people are just really, really good at juggling all areas of life. Me... um, not so much without a whole lot of thought and effort.
So... here are my plans.
1. Try eating out only one meal per week. To that end, I've realized we need
- a menu plan of fresh, healthy food
- foods that are easy to throw together quickly
- a well-stocked freezer and pantry
- a list of what is in said freezer and pantry
2. Keep the house liveable. For us that means
- Make beds
- Put away toys before naps and bed
- Keep the table mostly clear
- Keep the dishes washed
- Keep the laundry pile low
- Keep the kitchen floor swept
Bonus points for...
- Putting the dishes away
- Putting laundry away
3. Do something creative that is largely unrelated to church such as...
- Blog
- Garden
- Paint
- Make a collage I've had in my head for 5 years
- Quilt -- I actually took a quilting class for the first time last night and have another a week from Saturday. I'm excited to use my grandmother's Singer sewing machine that she gave to me to sell, but that I'm going to keep because it is going to be perfect for me in my life as a quilting Bee.
So that's it. Small things that make a big difference. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

4 comments:

~liz said...

i'm so excited to hear more about your quilting class. it's one of my goals in the next few eyars to take a clas s- and there are quite a few places that offer classes out here in the "sticks." i dream of making litle lap quilts for my boys to give to their wives one day. or just to hang around the house and eventually make one that's as big as an actual quilt. :)
i love your lists. i have mental lists like that. i plan and prepare our pantry and freezer on a monthly basis and do recipes from cooking light magazines. it's a good season to start as fresh food is abundant!

Jim and Amy Rennie said...

I wanted to make a quilt for Sawyer when I was pregnant with him. So Jim bought me all the stuff for hand-quilting for my bday and I learned from a book. However, since I sucked at the "by hand" part, I only finished one rather sad-looking square. It sorta makes me want to cry now thinking about it. BUT--my point is this . . .I read all over the place how the only "true" way to quilt is by hand, and all the great quilters do it that way. Don't fall for the hype. Use the machine!!!! I wish I had one so I could have. Doing it by hand is WAYYYYYY to complicated and difficult and requires a lot of cordination. hehe :)

Jim and Amy Rennie said...

Ok, that should have been "too" not "to." I hate when people do that. It was honestly a typo, not a spelling error . . .but still, it makes me look idiotic.

April said...

Yeah, I think those people are the same folks who are not real cooks unless they raise the chicken, you know?
Women have been quilting with sewing machines since sewing machines were invented. Crazy fool purists.