30 June 2007

Encouraging report

Yesterday I went up to Rockford for a post op visit and to review the pathology report on the bone that Dr. K removed on Tuesday. Turns out that there was no infection in that sample! That could be perhaps because that particular sample was not infected, or it could be that the bone is not healing because of a "fibrous non-union" meaning that there is tissue impeding the bone growth.
Whatever it is, it meant that I was able to have the splint removed yesterday and I am now in a cast that allows movement of my fingers and elbow. This is a huge help because my fingers and hand were very swollen and painful. Being able to move them has reduced the swelling and it is almost back to normal. Further, the doc said that I can go ahead and pick up my children and that it would hurt, but I would not be doing any damage to it. So that is good, too.
The best news, though, is that I am to stay on my mega doses of antibiotics for at least two weeks and then I am to have another blood serum drawn. If things look good, it is possible that they could proceed with the bone graft in the next couple weeks as opposed to after a couple months of antibiotics. Which means this whole thing could be over sooner rather than later.
So. Obviously I can type and I'm pleased about that, though it is cumbersome and rather painful, so I probably won't do much of it. Knowing me, I'll save my finger energy for truly frivolous stuff rather than the bulletin and sermons and such.
The family is all doing well. I am so blessed to have a family who just arrives when needed. It's lovely.
Anyway, thanks for all of the well-wishes. I'll respond to y'all soon.

4 comments:

more cows than people said...

woohoo! i've been reading, and thinking of you, and praying with you... glad to hear good news! sorry to be so scarce lately!

Jim and Amy Rennie said...

Glad you're doing ok. Good news about the lack of infection! Hang in there . . .

A. Lin said...

Yay! Great news! Esp. about being able to pick up your children.

Queenheroical said...

Excellent news! Will pray for a clean "bill of health" and speedy recovery! A momma can only go so long without holding her babies.

-Krina