20 March 2007

Recipe:Bunnies in the green garden or Fishies in the grass soup

If there is one thing that I truly fail at, it's feeding my family enough vegetables. What makes this even more sinful is that every week, I buy veggies for us to eat and every week we end up throwing veggies into the trash. It's terrible.
This week, a couple of zucchini, three bunches of broccoli and two bags of salad have been shaming me every time I opened up the refrigerator. Yesterday, I came to a reckoning with the zucchini and cooked it with some stuffed chicken breasts. Dennis ate it, but Annalivia declined to be so enticed.
Today, I confronted the broccoli and also some leftover brown rice and made one of my favorite soups. After I made it up, I sprinkled some goldfish crackers on top and told Annalivia that the fishies were hiding in the grass. She ate it up and for her second bowl, I sprinkled Annie's Cheddar Bunnies on top and told her it was bunnies in the garden.
So I accomplished two things -- I used the veggies and I actually got Annalivia to eat them. Now if only we can figure out what to do with salad for 20...

Bunnies in the Green Garden Soup (or No Cream Creamy Broccoli Soup -- original recipe here)
5-6 pieces of celery
15ish baby carrots
3 stalks of broccoli, chopped coarsely
2 cans of chicken broth
2 ish cups of cooked brown rice
Cook in a big pot til veggies are tender. Whirl in batches in a blender to desired chunkiness/ smoothness. Then add, if desired...
1 cup milk
1/4 parmesan cheese.

Heat and eat. It's SO good (and the milk and parm is really pretty optional -- it's good without it!)
Top with cheddar bunnies or goldfish!

No comments: