09 March 2007

Friday Five: A Matter of Taste

From the Rev Gals:
"My mother loved figs.

I only like them in a Newton.

It's all a matter of taste.

Name five things you like a lot that some close relative or significant other did/does not like. This could be food, movies, hobbies, music, sports or whatever springs to mind."

edited to add: Well, apparently reading instructions is not one of my loves. Here's a list of things I DON'T like that others in my family do. Ooops. Read my list following the above instructions here.
1. Ham
My family members all love ham, especially for Easter. My mom is really an excellent cook and prepares ham in a way that makes it really as good as ham can get, but I really don't like ham. And Dennis can't really eat it, so we never do. But we are definitely the odd folks out in our family.

2. Animals
Not a fan of animals, especially indoor pets. This puts me at odds with 80% of my friends and 59% of my family.

3. Retentively clean cars
I mean , they look nice, but why have one? Cars are for getting one from place to place. If a spare pretzel on the floor destroys that, well...

4. The Lord of the Rings movies and books.
Saw the first one -- 3 hours of my life I'll never get back. I think this puts me at odds with approximately 99% of my conservative Christian friends and 95% of all boys between the ages of 8 and 17.

5. The hymns "I was there to hear your borning cry", "Here I am, Lord" and especially, "Spirit of Restlessness, Gentleness and blah blah blah" (not its real title)
They just seem to go on and on to me. And one of them has been in almost every ordination service ever, including mine (Borning Cry -- my home church's choir picked it out to sing for me, so I kept my mouth shut.) This puts me at odds with 98% of all clergy and nearly 100% of female clergy.
Please -- try not to hold it against me.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, but what do you like? :-)

Sr. Heather said...

I liked "particular peculiarities" - it made me smile. But I'm with Songbird - what do you love and adore?

April said...

Ooops. Apparently I don't like to read either.

Terri said...

I like Borning Cry...but then we've only sung it three times and those were at baptisms...I can totally see where it would get to be too much. In our denomination we sing St. Patrick's Breastplate at almost every ordination, a million verses long; "I bind unto myself today the strong name of the Trinity..." And even though I like it, I never use it in church...nor at my ordination..

Jody Harrington said...

I'm with you on the Borning Cry. It was sung at EVERY baptism in the church we previously attended. It's too sentimental for my taste.

more cows than people said...

oh my sister... i don't like animals either!!!!!! vaguely kind of, but don't need a pet. every now and then I long for a puppy, but i wouldn't love the dog it grew into.

and i do like borning cry, mostly because we don't sing it that often, and we sang it at my wedding, we did alter the words a bit though cause one of the verses was just TOOO corny. but totally with you on the other hymns. and if i sang borning cry too much i'd be with you on that.

AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE THREE HOURS WASTED ON THE FIRST LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIE! God, I love you, April. And we've never even met!

Rachel said...

Ok - you may not read, but this is the greatest play - quite possibly ever. Borning cry and Lord of the Rings - sister - thank you.

Sally said...

with you on the cars all the way here!

LutheranChik said...

LOL! You are brave...I almost posted a mirror-image, what-I-hate-that-other-people-love addendum to my Friday Five, but I figured that in this case discretion was the better part of valor.;-) But I am with you on "Borning Cry," a hymn whose lyrics can scritch on my ears like fingernails on a chalkboard. But our congregation LOVES it, so I just go to my happy place when we sing it.

Pink Shoes said...

I've come to like Borning Cry again since having someone point out the blatant mention of sex ... something about making our verses rhyme from dusk til rising sun. I can't sing it without giggling. Mature, I know.

more cows than people said...

pink shoes- that's the verse we rewrote- hope that doesn't say something about our sex lives!

Amy said...

I'm with you on the bourning cry song. I heard it at a conference for the first time a few weeks ago. I found it so awful, I laughed out loud.

That did not go over well.

Jim and Amy Rennie said...

I'm not really a conservative, but I do like LOTR a lot, I must admit. However, I have no idea about any of the hymns you're talking about, so I guess I am not missing out on anything!! :)