16 August 2007

Recipe: Whole wheat pie crust

Here ya go, Jane-Anne. I haven't had occasion to use it for actual pie, but it works well for other pastry needs. I got this from Ruth, a lady at church, who makes wonderful pies. It is simple to remember because all of the ingredients are halved (1, 1/2, 1/4). For pies and for nostalgic reasons, I will always prefer my grandmother's recipe to this one, but I've yet to master it. This one is easy.

Whole Wheat Pastry Crust
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup butter (original recipe calls for shortening)
1/4 cup cold water
pinch salt
I make it in the food processor. Add cut up butter to flour and salt and process til it is cut into crumbly pieces. Add water slowly while processing til it makes a ball. Roll out on floured pastry cloth.
For double crust, double the recipe!

No comments: