28 February 2008

Substitutions gone awry

The Pioneer Woman has a new recipe up today at her cooking blog. It looks delicious. I have a love/ hate relationship with recipes that use industrial ingredients as substitutes for real cooking. Like these rolls, for example. Part of me loves them. Part of me is just disgusted with myself every time I make them. (I'll be disgusted with myself again on Sunday when I take them to First Sunday Fellowship, fyi.)

I modified PW's tomato soup recipe last night with stunning results. I had to make some substitutions. I used a 15 oz can of tomato sauce instead of the tomato juice. And I used leftover real whipped cream from Valentine's Day (don't worry -- I ate some a day before to make sure none of us would die or have "intestinal issues" -- I sacrifice for this family) for the cream and sugar. And I used red wine and boiled it before adding the cream. But despite all the substitutions it was delicious.

When I was telling my sister my plan, I told her I'd have to make some substitutions. I didn't have sherry. But I did have NyQuil and that has alcohol in it, right? I'm sure it would have worked.

It occurred to me today, while reading PW's apple dumpling recipe, that there probably is a recipe out there using NyQuil. Maybe a cherry cobbler or cheesecake?

I bet it is delicious, too.

4 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

You are hilarious!!!!

You are brave with your substitutions.

I think I would love todays recipe....but they would have to cart me off to Biggest Loser asap :o)

I made the Sherried Soup too. It was good.

more cows than people said...

wow. you are VERY brave. good for you.

Monica said...

Thanks for the egg drop soup recipe. I've only ever tried it from a packet mix which was over $2.00 and disgusting. I'll give yours a try next time.

Nice to meet you. I'll be back for more visits:)

Amalee Issa said...

Thank goodness someone else thinks the same way. I don't think the recipes that appear by Pioneer Woman are worth making. The photos are great, but the content? And that recipe for thyme bread really finished me off. I was expecting at least an attempt to incorporate some thyme into home made bread dough, but no, just a slice of bread and some butter... We can all make toast, can't we? Now for real cooking and the best food photos on the web, click onto this!! http://thestonesoup.com/

Amalee