02 February 2007

Friday Five: Ch-ch-ch-changes

A la the RevGals

Change is a given in life, yet it's not easy for any of us. So strap on your seat belts and let's talk about it:

1. Share, if you wish, the biggest change you experienced this past year.
Well, being pregnant with our second child and first son is a big one (until Monday that is, hee, hee!!), but being pregnant and having all three of us live through our auto accident was probably bigger this past year.
2. Talk about a time you changed your mind about something important.
I changed my mind about evangelical and conservative Christians this year. My mindset was stupid and ignorant before I met some amazing women online who are intelligent, humble, passionate, inquisitive... and, oh yeah, evangelical. It's been SO, SO, SO good for me to meet Christians outside my church box.
3. Bishop John Shelby Spong wrote a controversial book called "Why Christianity Must Change or Die." Setting aside his ideas--what kind of changes would you like to see in the Church?
I'd like to see us actually DO church rather than worrying so much about BEING church. And care more about being like Jesus than Ford Motor Co. (which isn't doing so well, for the record.)
4. Have you changed your hairstyle/hair color in the last five years? If so, how many times?
Yes. Quite a few times since 2002, though not many since 2005 when my daughter was born, other than to let it grow far too long between cuts! It's been long and brown and flat; shorter brown and flat; shorter, brown, and fluffy; shorter, brown, streaked and fluffy; even shorter and blonde; even shorter and even blonder; short, dark brown; short and red and yellow and brown; and now shortish and just brown.
5. What WERE they thinking with that New Coke thing?
It was the 80's. Shoulder pads, Aquanet, Working Girl ... we could list "what were they thinking?"s all day long...

11 comments:

-M said...

Ooh - today I want to play...I have read these and never done them!
1. The biggest change...well those who know me know there have been many external changes...but internally there is one of real note! I have found that I am thinking about my future. I have not done that in a way that felt real for as long as I can remember. And it feels really good.
2. Well I chose to really be a Christian some a couple years ago...and every time I turn around I have to adjust my understanding of that to be bigger (and if I could I would come up with better word for what I mean - a combination of sovereign, superhuman, compassionate, graceful, direct, humble, and active). And that has been a really wonderful process.
3. I would love to see the church move outside of buildings...and work through the eyes, words, and hands of the people who claim the faith.
4. My hair has been almost every color and length over the last 5 years! Most recently I cut all my hair off so it was about 1.5" long all over, wondered why I had done that over the course of the next year+ as it went through ALL of the awkward mullit phases - while being curly no less. But the result is my own hair - no color, its darker than I remembered with some natural gray starting and now it is officially long again!
5. Is there a new Coke?

Love you Ape - hoorah on Monday!!!

roo

reverendmother said...

Awesome answers.

Unknown said...

I like your New Coke answer!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Hey, glad you changed your mind about us! ;-) And blessings as you await the new arrival!

Shawna Atteberry said...

Great answers. Your answer to the Coke one is great.

leah said...

Thanks for playing--I especially like your answers 2 and 3.

Sally said...

I love your answer to the coke thing- but also to church- if we could simply follow Jesus we might just have something!

Deb said...

(o) Reading them later today than usual... great post..
d

Anonymous said...

Neat post and hooray for the almost arrival of your baby! Love the answer to your hair color.

April said...

Thanks, y'all. Rooskers, thanks for posting here. I had no idea you had added extra stuff to your blog. I feel bad that I've not commented, so I'm going to do that now. I love you, too!

Unknown said...

great play.
Yep, living through an accident is a big change, changes everything. And #2 will change a lot for you too.

It was the 80's, you are too silly, I love it.