03 February 2009

Candlemas dinner

Yesterday, Feb. 2 was Candlemas. Candlemas is the midpoint between the winter and spring and was a time when families brought their candles to a special mass to have a blessing upon them. Candlemas was also tied to the Purification of Mary, which would have happened 40 days after the birth of Jesus and so Candlemas prayers often asked for purification, God's refining fire, etc.

In some places, Candlemas celebrations involve round foods like pancakes or doughnuts to invoke the Sun/ Son. That's the angle we went with here and we had homemade pizza and clementines for dinner and used round plates. And we lit candles. The only candleholder we have is one that is shaped like a deer that I've been trying to give away to my sistah, Kalin. I think it's technically a Christmas decoration. But we used it.

It was a good dinner. We talked about Jesus being the Light of the World and how Spring is coming to remind us that God always makes everything new and gives us all lots of second chances. The kids didn't fight. The only spill occurred before we even sat down. And Daniel almost fell asleep during it.
Then, after baths and the kids' bedtimes, Dennis and I watched Groundhog Day again. We didn't fight or spill either. :)
But I did fall asleep during it.

1 comment:

Lucky Fresh said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I'd been curious since you said on fb that you were "Candle-masing" what that meant. But obviously, not curious enough to do my own research. Sounds like a beautiful thing. I love what you do with your kids. I wonder if someday that will become part of your ministry, writing these books like you reference using...
Who knows?
Anyway, I find it unbelievable that you only have one candle holder in your whole house. Is that really true?
Do you not like candles?