08 October 2007

It's about time

In my convalesence, I am reading the Anne of Green Gables series. Despite the fact that I could probably still recite the movie versions verbatim (except for that terribly disappointing third movie), because I literally, at one point in my life, watched the tape of these movies every single day, I am reading these books for the first time ever in my life. I don't remember now why exactly I haven't read them before, but I read through #1 today and laughed and cried and felt very ashamed by my negligence.
It's about darn time, eh?

7 comments:

Jan said...

Good for you! I never read them, even though my mother kept telling me they were her favorite books "when she was my age." So there was a little spurt of rebellion there.

more cows than people said...

funny. i was about to open my comment with practically exactly the same words as jan.

good for you- i've never read them- the movies rocked.

enjoy.

jill said...

I'll weigh in with sheepish solidarity. What is this? A lady-pastor revolution?! I've been quietly holding my breath lo, these many years, ashamed of letting down the sisterhood for not having read Anne of Green Gables...alas, I am not alone!! Go April--you told the secret!!

Dusty said...

That must be my favorite book series of all time! I read the entire lot of them my freshman year of college (after seeing the movies) and fell truly in love. I hope you enjoy them!

Peace.

Jim and Amy Rennie said...

I used to watch those movies all the time too . . .we talked of Gilbert's hottttness, remember? I always have loved the books, my Grandma Brown got them for me and they always remind me of her.

annie-c said...

I'm so sorry you missed out on reading these books sooner!

Still, "tomorrow's a new day with no mistakes in it yet" - be sure to read the next in the series so you don't miss out again!!!!

A. Lin said...

I read them (several times) before I ever saw the movies. I am reading them to my preschoolers chapter-by-chapter as they fall asleep at night. We 1/4 through book 5 (Anne's House of Dreams).