29 October 2008

Recipe: A really delicious Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookie

I have found that I really like Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. I am not a big plain ol' chocolate chip cookie fan; they seem too sweet to me. In fact, I think my favorite cookie these days is oatmeal raisin and walnut made a little less sweet than usual. But Dennis is not a raisin fan and chocolate chip cookies are his favorite. So here's the compromise -- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip.
This is a very, very good recipe, I think. It makes cookies that are crisp outside and chewy inside. They are also just a tad salty, which I love and not TOO sweet because I don't use too many chocolate chips, though each cookie always has plenty in them.
This recipe makes A LOT. I make it in my stand mixer which is powerful and that's good because the dough is substantial. The recipe can be halved, but I like to make it all at once, bake a dozen or two, and then freeze the rest in logs. Then when we are all jonesing for cookies, a log can be removed from the freezer, cut into 12 pieces, popped into the oven while still frozen and a bit later we have nice, hot cookies. And I've still only washed the bowl once.
I'm going to try this recipe with raisins and walnuts instead of chocolate chips sometime. I just know I'll have to make a whole lot less, or find someone else who is a fan of shriveled grapes to share my cookies.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
4 sticks butter
4 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons vanilla
4 cups flour
2 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
2 t salt
5 cups rolled oats
1 12 oz. bag chocolate chips
Cream together the sugars, butter, milk and vanilla until fluffy. Mix flour, soda, powder and salt together and add into creamed mixture until incorporated. Mix in oats and chocolate chips at the end.
Drop rounded tablespoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake 350 til lightly browned. Remove from oven, cool a little, remove from baking sheet, cool a bit more, and eat.
Makes about 6 dozen.

3 comments:

Dusty said...

I am a fan of shriveled grapes! See you this weekend! I am really really really looking forward to it!

Stephanie Hampton said...

Good cookies. I agree with u.I prefer oatmeal raisin. But they were tasty on Fri.

Tonya said...

wow! That IS a big recipie! It might keep my family in cookies for THREE WHOLE DAYS! I am going to have to try it!:)