19 September 2008

To end the day

The kids took impossible naps today. They fell asleep on the way home from dinner and stayed asleep until about 7:50. We were just heading back from the drive to a dark house, when Annalivia woke up and said, "Mommy, is Mavis a diesel engine?" I answered her and prayed she'd go back to sleep and as I was beginning that prayer, Daniel woke up and Annalivia said, "Let's sing!" and we launched into the "Engine Roll Call" and that was that. They were awake.
When we got home we noticed that the high school had a football game tonight. Our house is directly across the street from the funeral home in town which backs up to the football field. Folks park in the funeral home lot and watch the game for free sometimes. It's a beautiful night so, after nice baths from Daddy, we went to the store and got a small container of ice cream, then loaded up the wagon with the kids, ice cream, four spoons and a bunch of paper towels and headed across the street to see the last two minutes of the second quarter of the game. Eureka scored a touchdown on our way over and was doing a good job defending their lead by intercepting right before the end of the half. Then we watched the marching band, which, frankly, was a little disappointingly boring, then we came home.
It was a fun treat -- jammies, ice cream, the wagon, the game and the band. We'll have to do this again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a perfect night to me!

The Passarelli's said...

That last comment was me April.
Mike Passarelli

I goofed up some how!

Anonymous said...

I've been to a lot of marching band competitions, because my older sister was a flutist for years. And really, most of them are boring... but as unbiased as I can possibly be, I have to say my sister's band could give you chills with their complicated patterns and precision. They won championships every single year.