23 December 2009

Dec. 23: The wishlist


My grandmother had an address book with a picture of Santa on the front of it, onto which she glued a cotton ball. That was her Christmas wishlist book. Every year, her children, then eventually the grandkids, would write our Christmas lists in the book. As an adult, it was so neat to go back and see our childish handwriting evolve and the phases of our hearts' desires formed into Christmas lists, as well as Grammy's eternal list (Chantilly Lace and gloves). It was one of my favorite Christmas traditions.
This year I made a book for myself and the two sisters who have children. I decoupaged a picture of Santa (Grammy's was much more modern, but I couldn't find it) onto blank sketchbooks and then glued the requisite cotton ball to the front.
The kids made their lists immediately. Annalivia wrote hers and Daniel dictated his. Then we put it right in front of the tree where Santa can easily find it.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm going to do this! I just ran across your blog looking for pictures of a crocheted baby dress and saw the Santa book. My kids are 15, 12, and 1....but it's never too late to start! :-) thanks!

April said...

You're welcome, tricia. I guarantee the kids will love it and you'll treasure the lists!