17 August 2007

Friday Five: Movies I could see again and again

Follow the Fleet -- Gramps taped this Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers film for us off Turner Movie Classics when I was in high school. Roo and I devoured it. The great music, costumes, and sweet story were captivating. You can hear me humming this on random days...We joined the navy to see the world. And what did we see? We saw the sea. We saw the Atlantic and the Pacific, and the Pacific isn't terrific, and the Atlantic isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Green Card -- I don't know why, but I love this movie. Maybe it's the music (I had the cassette of the soundtrack for a long time). Maybe it's the greenhouse. Maybe it's Gerard. It's flawed and McDowell is really not great, but... I love it.

Rushmore -- The beginning of Bill Murray's renaissance, I remember being just delighted when I saw this one in the theater by myself during seminary. It was like discovering a little treasure.

Intolerable Cruelty -- Probably one of my favorite movies of all time, Dennis and I have seen this more times than we can count. Those Coen brothers are just so clever. And George AND Catherine are just gorgeous.

Goldeneye -- I do love me a spy movie and this one is my favorite James Bond, probably because it's got a smart Bond girl, and Judi Dench, to boot. And then there's Pierce running about in post-Soviet Russia AND Sean Bean... lovely.

For the record, I like movies. And there are lots more that I could see again and again. These are just some from a long list.


3 comments:

more cows than people said...

i loved green card! it's been a LONG time, but i LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! haven't thought of it in awhile!

is this a different Friday Five than the RevGals?

April said...

Oh, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one!

And this IS a different F5. I'm off the reservation for a while. :)

Jimmy said...

um, excuse me... and what of M. Park?