09 August 2007

Brief books of the Bible

I have decided that my new sermon series at church will be called Brief Books of the Bible and each week I will preach a very vague, and probably, theologically unsound for many pastors, sermon on the "overarching" theme of a book.
Last week, I kicked off the series without even realizing I was doing it by preaching on Jonah. I basically retold the story and then made my big point. And it was a lot of fun. I think everyone else liked it, too. But the best part was that several folks told me throughout the week that they went home and actually read or re-read (but probably just read) Jonah. Which was very cool.
I'm thinking, and hoping and praying, that this sermon series will inspire folks to go home and read these brief books over again or, probably, for the first time. I think that would be very, very good for us. As a group we are incredibly, ashamedly Biblically illiterate. I don't know if that is a trait shared among most mainliners or just most Disciples, but it is not a trait of which to be proud. At all.
So I'm challenging my folks to go home and crack open these little books and spend the less-than-an-hour that it will take to read the four or five chapters. And then, at least, they will be able to say that they've read these parts of the Bible. Who knows? It might lead to reading the rest of the books, too.
At least, that's the hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a COOL idea! Way to go, Amazing April! I had to giggle at "theologically unsound" -- I'm beginning to think that even the KJV is technically "theologically unsound" to somebody :)

And I *LOVE* that you started in Jonah -- there's no better picture of God's TRUE purpose for redemption than the reluctant, judgmental prophet going to the least deserving (fish slapping? HT VeggieTales) people only to discover them HUNGRY and READY for God.

Hey, does your church do podcasts? Those of us familiar with your writing would LOVE to hear you preach!

April said...

Thanks, Sarah! We don't tape and frankly, I'm grateful for the excuse not to listen to myself stumble about. I don't preach from manuscripts or many notes any more so I do a lot of "ummm"-ing. It's better for all of us that we're not advanced enough to do podcasts, believe me!