15 March 2010

Boys and girls

The DHM has a fascinating round-up/ summary of some links exploring learning differences between genders over at The Common Room.

When Daniel was born, I felt sort of as though I didn't really know him at all. I think much of that was because he is a boy. As the eldest of four sisters, with no male cousins around while growing up, getting acquainted with a boy-brain has been fascinating.

I have been amazed, intrigued and enthralled lately with watching Daniel (3) process life, especially in comparison with his older sister (5). It is incredibly interesting to study how he learns/ acts/ feels, etc. As we begin to teach them, it has been clear to us that the differences are deeper than simple personality traits. Reading this article was fun -- there's something going on in that little blond-haired blue-eyed boy that is completely, totally unique! :)

2 comments:

~liz said...

thank you for this! i can't wait to see how this changes our all-boy homeschool! :)

Amalee Issa said...

This post really made me smile, April. When Beloved Firstborn was born, and passed that dreaded meconium nappy, I remember holding up his dangly-do and asking, "How the hell do I clean this?"

We are all in this mothering lark together, April!

Amalee